Sunday, December 7, 2008

Final Reflection, Woohoo.

Over the course of the semester, I've learned more about how to analyze global affairs in a critical manner. I can now look at an issue and say, "Well, this happened, but why?". This sort of skill is vital in any sort of economic or political line of work. I may not have learned a lot about various global issues, but that wasn't the point of the class. Rather, it gave me the analytical framework necessary to further success in international relations. It was a lot of work, but I found a lot of gratification when debates in class continued over blogs or in 721. These discussions played a large role in shaping the way class itself functioned, and our actions were really what shaped the way the course was directed and what was taught. In that regard, I found the class a fascinating experience. I certainly don't walk away from the class with any regrets, nor do I have any about my blogging experience. As to whether or not I will blog in the future, I can only really wait and see what I feel like doing. I've found it an interesting way to carry on debates, but they're only fun when you have other people discussing your ideas with you. As a result, this sort of involvement will likely only continue in a sort of community where I can expect regular feedback from a regular body of readers, like I had this semester.

One way or another, I'm glad for the things I've learned in the course. It's altered my perspective on a lot of things and changed the way I look at the world, and that is far better than regurgitating information that I would have learned in some of the other classes.

1 comment:

Rachel said...

Yeah...I am almost sorry that I am not going to have to blog anymore.

I actually think that blogging has forced me to research things that I wouldn't have otherwise, and to vent creatively in a way that I know that I wouldn't have taken the time to do without this class.

I was just thinking that maybe all of us who are thinking of trying to keep up blogs might want to make one for all of the UC WoPo people...what do you think?