Monday, November 24, 2008

Air and Space Museum

As I walked round the Air and Space Museum, I realized that I would never be able to merely enjoy a museum like a tourist anymore.  Thanks PTJ, but the entire time I could only think about who the audience was and what message the audience was intended to receive.  I think the sheer size and complexity of all the missiles and engines and shuttles are intended to show off how unbelievably awesome America is.  When I looked at all the rockets, I could not comprehend how a person could figure out how to make one.  The ingenuity of scientists at NASA boggles my mind; I am in awe of that type of intelligence. 

The exhibits also liked to impress how the US space program compared to the Soviet’s program.  The arrangement was such that each landmark design from one space program was put next to the other’s similar design.  So you could compare Gagarin’s space suit to John Glenn’s because they were in cases right next to each other.  And since Glenn’s suit had thirteen zippers and his gloves, boots, and helmet were custom made, America is clearly superior.  And Glenn’s suit is aluminized nylon, not that lame orange nylon atrocity.  A classmate tells me that this shows how America is a shining beacon of excellence in space explorations compared to the Red (orange) Commie  (insert explicit word here). 

I enjoyed my trip to the museum, but no longer for the freeze-dried ice cream or the Imax adventures, but on an intellectual and critical level.  Okay, enjoyment on that level is not really as good, but I guess I will have to reinvent my childhood in ways other than going to museums.  Next best thing is the merry-go-round on the mall.  I dare anyone to think intellectually while riding that.  

1 comment:

Jasmine said...

The rotation and swells of the merry-go-round replicate the boom-bust cycle of capitalism, made ironic by its placement in the consumption-heavy mall location during such turbulent economic times.

...yeah that didn't really work. But you dared! ;) And now I really want to go to the Air'n Space museum.