Sunday, November 2, 2008

Halloween and Terrorist Attacks

I discovered much insecurity in the world this weekend.  First, it was a possibility to invade the sovereign territory of Guatemala on Halloween.  Not saying I did, but I was aware that it was possible.  The idea of Halloween trick-or-treating is insecure because random strangers can invade your home and take things from you.  So when the embassies allow college students to enter their domains, there are going to be some dangerous and insecure situations.  When a door is unlocked and there are jack-o-lanterns on the stoop and a bowl of unguarded candy inside, it is inevitable that their borders will be breached with such an absence of security.  Not that I did, but I could have if I did not hold such a high respect for Guatemalan sovereignty. 

            There is also a lack of security for the furniture on the 5th floor, but I know nothing about that.  However, when an advancing group has arms, and the defending side has none, the attackers do not need to waste ammo on the infidels to get whatever they desire.  Halloween got me in a realist mood. 

            On Friday, we had a curious discussion about actual and perceived security.  I posted a bit about this on Wednesday, but I will mention a few things in response to Amanda’s post.  I am glad that Amanda caught the essence of the argument on Friday when we mentioned 9/11.  Again, our perceived amount of security was a false because we did not see the black swan approaching.  Perhaps we could have, knowing about the memos sent to government officials about a probable terrorist attack in the United States, but as these were not made open to the general public, we could not have seen it coming.  Similarly to Amanda, I liked the point that terrorist attacks are things to worry about because they can drastically change the political situation of the country.  I had not thought of this as an argument against the article, but it is definitely a valid point.  The aftermath of September 11th has resulted in a war, a new economic situation, and a completely different political environment.  I do not even think I need to mention how that changed everyone individually because I am sure that all of you have flashbulb memories of that day and can all say exactly how it has affected you.  But that would be interesting to hear about, so feel free to leave comments! 

            

No comments: