Monday, November 10, 2008

Heck Yes We Did! but we still have work to do...BUT YES WE DID!!!!!!!!

This Tuesday was the most exciting night I have had at AU.  At the beginning of the night, I was still nervous because I have had my hopes dashed before.  However, when the results started coming in and the electoral map was turning the most beautiful shade of blue, I started to get very excited.  However, I think I still had the feeling that I should not expect the best and that some things are too good to be true.  The fact that I was still worried that something would go horribly wrong, that the Bradley Effect would come into play and I would be stuck wondering how I can be proud of this country and its people if racists and bigots can still determine the course of our history.  With the passing of Proposition 8, I have some of that feeling, but hopefully the gay rights movement can be achieved faster than the civil rights movement.  I hope that gay marriage can become a right because when America is less forward thinking than South Africa, I think there is reason for concern.  If any of you feel similarly, attend a protest with me!!!  Here is the link to the facebook event:http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=39739681959&ref=mf

            Back to the election.  I have no idea how to put into words exactly how I felt just after Virginia was called and CNN flashed a screen announcing that Barack Obama is the President-Elect.  I do know that Brotopia erupted into cheers and hugs and was even able to drown out the din from outside.  We all ran down to the quad and chanted “Yes We Did!” and there was much rejoicing.  The peaceful riot was glorious. 

            I thought the acceptance speech was incredible.  I agree with what Matt from Bread for the City said, for once a man was humble and touched by the vindication of the country and understood that the election was not for him, but for us.  We took the White House back, not him.  Obama also made clear that we all face serious problems, especially the economic crisis and the Iraq War.  He made sure that we knew that electing him does not make the world a magically perfect place.  This was necessary, and I am glad he did so. 

            However, I did feel a bit of magic called hope when we went to the White House at 1:30AM.  The sense of pride in our nation and real camaraderie of the DC residents was overwhelming.  Cars honked, people waved flags and sang goodbye to Dubya, and it was a beautiful night all around.  I was torn of whether I should go because I had Chinese at 8:30AM, but I decided to be a witness to history.  I would choose that over sleep any day.  

No comments: