Saturday, October 11, 2008

2008, A Space Odyssey

....Thank you Blackboard, for failing to be efficient. It meant I got an extra hour of sleep in, which probably helped my immune system in unknown ways.

Blackboard, next time I'm sick, I'm calling you up and saying, "Hey. Stop working. I need some sleep."

On to this week's reflection....

First off, I'll be honest, I wasn't a huge fan of this simulation. At first I was excited about the idea of filming something, since I love to make films. Then I realized, oh, wait, other classes with essays due. Not so much. As time wore on though, I began to dislike this topic. I just simply didn't feel any connection to it (regardless of whether or not I had a car, that's not the point). More so, I didn't feel the relevance of it...or I felt that there could of been a better topic to have been picked. Be that as it may, it isn't my business to decide what is and isn't appropriate.

On to our first essay topic.

I'm planning on submitting 2001: A Space Odyssey, and calling it good. I'm going to say that's a constructivist point of view. As well as an acid trip point of view. Or submit Alien and say the U.S. is Weaver, and alien is...alien. Kane can be India, Dallas can be Russia, Ash can be Japan, Brett can be...uh....let's go with Sweden. Parker can be...Australia, Lambert can be the UK, and Jones...can be New Zealand. That then, would be a realist perspective.

We have got to throw liberal in there somewhere.....Star Wars? Yes, we're gonna go with Star Wars for liberal.

Voila, my entire essay, in three movies. Whatchagonnado.

Actually, this essay topic is slightly...odd. I realize why it was picked as a topic, I can see the merits, so on, so forth, but once again, I'm just left thinking, "Whhaaaa?" As much as I am a space nut (hey, every kid wants to be an astronaut when they grow up, at least for 5 minutes), and am actually into astronomy from a physics level (and metaphysical level), still, writing an essay essentially dealing with space politics is not what I had in mind when I thought "World Politics".

C'est la vie.

I really want to watch Star Wars now.

No comments: