Sunday, September 21, 2008

In the immortal words of Wyclef Jean

"Cos' I'ma tell you like Wu told me
Cash rules everything around me
Singin' dollar dollar bill y'all (dollar, dollar bill y'all)
Singin' dollar dollar bill y'all (dollar, dollar bill y'all)"

Straight up, homeslice.

According to PTJ, the discussion Friday didn't go as expected. We ended up talking about the economy, but not even that...some various things that involved the economy and revolved around the economy.

Somewhere within that confabulation, PTJ said that eventually, all elections, regardless of what is going on the in world, and how we're involved in it, get back down to domestic issues. Obviously.

If our lives aren't stable, then what do we care about other people's? That's not being vicious, that's being realistic. I can honestly say that, as much as I care about what goes on the world, how much I want to work internationally, it doesn't matter if I can't afford an education because the economy has gone down the crapper. And that is a worry I face everyday. What makes it worse is that getting a loan is not the best idea right now. I don't want to go home...but what if the economy forces it?

Let's put this in 2008 election perspective: PTJ also said that when it comes to economy, Democrats tend to do better in the polls. ....But let's be honest. This is the worst economic crisis since the Great Depression. If the government hadn't stepped in, hadn't done something, we could be in such a worse position. Imagine if AIG had been allowed to collapse...worldwide repercussions would have occurred. It is unfathomable. Voting now isn't just a matter of who we like because we don't like someone else...who we elect will directly relate to the next few years, and if this crisis is halfway over, or just begun. Even more than that, as my friends in various parts of the globe tell me, who we vote for affects their lives on a very direct level as well. The US economy still has a bohemoth impact on the rest of the world, and my friends in England, France, Germany, Australia, New Zealand and Japan are all waiting to see how the American public decides their lives.

That's another way to look at voting. Now, it just simply isn't for us (even though us (US) comes first), but it is for everyone who is affected by the actions of the US...which is everyone. Our economy is being shaken to its core, the world along with it.


This is all rather unfathomable. For me, personally, it is terrifying. For others, who started out with less than me at the beginning of this whole mess? ...It makes me really grateful, and frightfully desolate.

Ignoring the connotation that Obama has placed on the word hope....we all need to hope right now, for something better to be coming, and soon.

And that the stock market doesn't dive bomb again when the markets open tomorrow.

Because that would just suck mucho.

Wanna know what else sucks mucho? Damn baseball stadium didn't have churros. Failure.
Good job Padres. They won because the Nationals didn't have any CHURROS. I'd be indignant too.

1 comment:

Seamus McGregor said...

First of all, I'm stoked that you managed to incorporate words from The Sweetest Girl into your blog post, well done!
I must say, I share your belief that the economy should be first in our minds and we should discuss this in detail on Tuesday. The fact that numerous private financial institutions with global influence are going belly-up demands an in-depth discussion relating to everything from economic inderdependence to ethics in the private sector.